Happy and Healthy Holidays without the Expansion
With the first calorie slugfest behind us and the two biggest coming up I decided it was time to write about the challenge of expansion during the Holidays. The average American gains roughly five pounds between Thanksgiving and New Year’s. Studies show that most calories are not consumed on the specific Holiday itself, but that it is rather the seemingly endless holiday-parties and the grazing in between that add up. While weight loss programs during the holidays are almost certain to be doomed and unrealistic, maintaining your weight is not!
Here are a few tips for Healthy Holidays:
- Make an effort to continue your regular exercise program even in the middle of all the holiday bustle and hustle. Plan ahead by scheduling exercises around holiday commitments and then stick to the schedule! Exercising is the key to maintaining good health and a healthy weight.
- Don’t try to lose weight, just maintain your weight and you come out a winner.
- Don’t deprive yourself of holiday goodies such as eggnog, candied sweet potatoes and the occasional piece of chocolate. Instead choose small portions of those calorie laden foods and fill your plate with low fat choices such as fruit, vegetables.
- Try to move your holiday get-togethers into a different arena or setting. Instead of indulging over a table of food, meet at the Holiday Ice Skating rink or at a Holiday Play such as the “Nutcracker”. Even Bowling can be a welcomed change to your holiday party routine.
- When invited to parties offer to bring a favorite low-calorie healthy alternative dish. That leaves you with at least one “safe” item available.
- Consume alcohol in moderate amounts. Alcohol is high in calories and can lead to overeating. Try to consume a glass of water for every glass of alcohol you consume! Also when at a party always keep a little in your class, that way the host won’t refill every time he or she passes you.
I hope this handful of tips will make your Holiday Season a time to relax and enjoy the company of those you love and cherish without stressing over possible weight-gains!